1/4 cup Toor dal (yellow pigeon peas)
1 onion chopped
1 tomato chopped
1 tbsp of ginger-garlic chopped
2 tbsp of clarified butter or ghee
1 tsp of cumin seeds
1 green chilli chopped
1 bay leave
Pinch of asafoetida
2-3 dry red chillies
1/2 tsp of turmeric
1 tsp of chilli powder
1 tsp of coriander powder
1/2 tsp of garam masala powder
1 tbsp of lemon juice
2 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves
Salt to taste
Water as required
Cilantro and split green chilli to garnish
- Pressure cook the washed toor dal & moong dal by adding lilttle water, salt & turmeric.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Crackle the cumin seeds.
- Add bay leave, dry red chilli & asafoetida.
- Add chopped ginger-garlic and saute it for few seconds.
- Add chopped onion & green chilli and fry until golden brown.
- Add chopped tomato & salt. Cook till tomatoes are soft.
- Now add the coriander powder, chilli powder, garam masala powder and cook for 2-3 minutes. You can add little water to make sure that the spices are not sticking to the pan.
- Now add the cooked dal and boil it for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add the coriander leaves, lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro and split green chill. Serve hot.