1/2 cup split moong daal (Dry roast the moong daal on slow flame for 5-6 mints, until its nutty brown. Wash and strain the excess water)
1/2 cup Govind Bhog rice or any short grain rice (Rinse with water and strain)
3/4 cup cauliflower florets
2 medium sized potatoes cut in big chunks
1/3 cup of frozen or blanched green peas
1 medium sized tomatoes roughly chopped
2 pods green cardamom
2 inch pieces cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
2 whole red chillies
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/3 grated fresh coconut
1 tbsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder or as per taste
1/4 tsp of garam masala powder
4 tbsp of mustard oil/vegetable oil
1 tsp of granulated sugar
2-3 green chillies
Salt as per taste
1 big tbsp of desi ghee
4-5 cups of water or as needed
- In a big pan heat oil until smoke starts emanating. Shallow fry the cauliflower and potatoes until they turn brown. Take them out and keep it aside.
- In the remaining oil, add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and whole red chillies. Saute for 30 seconds. Now add the cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add the coconut and cook till it turns golden brown. Now add the grated ginger, turmeric powder, cumin powder and red chilli powder. Mix well and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the roughly chopped tomatoes and cook for 2 mins or until they get soft.
- Now add the rice and saute on medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the moong daal and mix well. Add 3-4 cups of water and let it come to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, add fried cauliflower and potatoes.
- Add salt as per your taste. Mix well, cover and cook for 15 minutes on low flame.
- After 15 minutes, add sugar and mix well.
- Add green chillies, green peas and 1-2 cups of water and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Now add garam masala powder and ghee in the khichdi and give a final mix. Cover and let it simmer for a minute or so.
- The sumptuous Khichdi is ready to be served.