1 cup of yogurt
6 cups of water
2 tbsp of clarified butter (ghee)
Pinch of asafoetida
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp of turmeric powder
1 tsp of chilli powder
1 tsp of garlic paste
4 dried red chilli
1 stem of curry leaves
Salt to taste
Chopped cilantro for garnishing
3/4 cup of gram flour (besan)
2/3 cup of water
1/4 tsp of baking powder
1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
1/3 tsp of red chilli powder
1/2 tsp of garlic paste
salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
- To make the pakoras add all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk them together to make a lump free smooth batter. Whip the batter until light and fluffy.
- Now heat the oil in a pan and drop about 1 tbsp of batter in round shape. Fry on high heat until both sides get golden brown. Take out and keep it aside.
- To make the Kadhi, mix gram flour, turmeric powder, salt and yogurt in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add three cups of water slowly and mix well.
- Add the garlic paste and red chilli powder together and make a paste.
- Heat ghee in a pan and crackle the cumin seeds, dried red chilli, asafoetida and curry leaves. Now add the garlic paste and fry for one minute.
- Add the yogurt mixture and keep stirring until it comes to a boil.
- Add 3 cups of water and let it come to a boil. Turn the heat to medium low and let the kadhi cook for 5-6 mnts. Stir occasionally.
- Add the pakoras and mix well.
- Add chopped cilantro and simmer for a minute.
- Serve hot with freshly made onion pakora and rice.