500 gms of fish cut into medium pieces
1/2 tomato chopped
1 tsp of turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp of red chilli powder
1 1/2 tsp of coriander powder
1 large onion chopped
8-9 cloves of crushed garlic
few fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
1 stem of curry leaves
2 tbsp of oil
Salt to taste
1 tsp of lemon
Water as required
Cilantro for garnishing
- Marinate the washed fish in 1 tsp of lemon, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp of red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp of coriander powder and 1/2 tsp of salt. Coat the pieces in spice mix and keep it aside for 15 mnts.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds. Let it crackle. Add the curry leaves and let the oil infuse.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until the edges of the onion gets brown a bit.
- Now add the crushed garlic and cook until the garlic is slightly brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until it gets tender.
- Take it out and let it cool. Put the masala and yogurt in a blender and make a fine paste.
- Now heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the marinated fish on medium-high heat until both sides get brown a bit. Take it out on an absorbent paper.
- In the same pan add the prepared paste and rest of the spices (coriander powder, turmeric powder and red chilli powder). Mix well and add salt. Cook for 2 mints on medium flame. You may add little water to get the desired consistency but make sure to keep the gravy little thick.
- Now add the fried fish pieces and stir continuously Handle the curry with care as the fish is very delicate, it may break into pieces.
- Add chopped cilantro and let it simmer for 1 minute.
- Serve hot.